November 19, 2011

Week 7

Hey All

Imaging
This week, we took a bunch of x-rays in Imaging.  We did several different views on two cats and a dog.  It was really fun to do what we will be doing in the clinical setting... everything from setting up, restraining, setting the x-ray machine, taking the films, processing them, looking at them and discussing them, labeling and putting away the x-rays, and breaking down.

Parasitology
In Parasitology, we did our normal fecals and those that found parasites got to decide on a medication, calculate the dosage, fill the prescription, and give the first dose.  I wasn't one of those people, but it was cool to know that could be me next week!

I got to do what is called a Snap test to test if one of the animals had FeLV/FIV (Feline Leukemia Virus, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus).  The Snap test looks like this:


You mix three drops of blood and four drops of a reactive agent, put it in the reservoir, wait for the blood mixture to creep up to the dot in the middle,  and then press down on the opposite end to Snap it.  You then wait a designated amount of time.  The four dots represent a negative control, a positive control, FeLV positive, and FIV positive.  

We can use a variety of these for differnt diseases as well, including heartworm, lymes disease, anaplasmosis,  parvo, etc.  They are quick and efficient.

The one I did was negative, which is good!

Hematology
For Hematology this week, we were tested on a cephalic blood draw for cats, and we did what's called a lateral saphenous vein, which is the vein that runs down the back leg, on a dog.  

Feline Cephalic Veinpuncture

Work
For work this week, I did some paper grading, some filing, some stocking, and....Inventory.  Anyone who's ever had to do inventory knows that it can be a MAJOR pain, but I've figured out a good system.  I brought my laptop in and used an Excel spreadsheet to do the inventory.  It's very easy using the "Find" feature!  And, if I come across more of one of whatever it is that I've already counted, I can very easily add it in.  

I also had my music playing on my laptop since there was no one else in the room I was counting.  Much, much, more fun! 

That's all for this week.  Next week for Imaging we are going out to a Horse farm to take some x-rays on a Horse.  It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment